Magna announced it is investing more than $470 million to expand its operations across Ontario. The growth includes a new battery enclosures facility in Brampton. The company is also expanding it’s operations in Guelph, Belleville, Newmarket, Windsor, and Penetanguishene.
These expansions follow new business awards from various automakers in key product areas.
Details of the new and expanding facilities include ::
- Brampton: A new 490,000 square-foot leased facility to manufacture battery enclosures for electric vehicles. Operations to begin in Q2 2023, roughly 560 new jobs are expected at full production.
- Guelph: Magna is adding e-coat, molding and welding capacity to its exteriors plant to support new electric vehicle production. The expansion will total 120,000 square-feet, and production is planned to begin in Q2 2023. Approximately 175 new jobs are expected.
- Belleville: Magna’s lighting plant is adding to its capabilities for printed circuit board assemblies and will start operations in Q4 2023. Up to 100 new jobs are expected.
- Newmarket: Magna’s mechatronics facility which produces vehicle access systems including side door latches, electronic control units, and power systems – is growing its business and expects approximately 75 new jobs.
- Windsor: Magna’s mechatronics plant adds new business for powered aluminum tonneau covers. The facility has recently started those operations and is planning to add roughly 110 new jobs.
- Penetanguishene: Magna’s mechatronics facility is growing its tailgate hinges production and more than 15 new jobs are planned.
“Magna’s roots in Ontario run deep, and we are excited about opening a new facility dedicated to a strategic electrification product. The Brampton facility, coupled with investment and growth in five existing Ontario facilities, allows Magna to keep up with customer demands across several product areas,” said Eric Wilds, Magna Chief Sales and Marketing Officer. “We are excited to bring new business, more investment and additional jobs to Ontario.”
This expansion in operations is supported by $23.6 million in grants from the Ontario government.
Magna owns 49 manufacturing facilities with more than 18,500 employees in Canada. The company, was recently named by Forbes as one of Canada’s Best Employers 2023 and Fortune’s Worlds Most Admired Companies.