- Smart EQ fortwo » £17,850 (CDN$30,500 / USD$23,600)
- Smart EQ forfour » £18,285 (CDN$31,200 / USD$24,200)
- Fiat 500 » £20,495 (CDN$35,000 / USD$27,150)
- VW e-up! » £20,695 (CDN$35,300 / USD$27,400)
- Mini Electric » £26,000 (CDN$44,400 / USD$34,400)
- Mazda MX-30 » £26,045 (CDN$24,500 / USD$34,500)
- MG5 EV » £26,495 (CDN$45,200 / USD$35,100)
- Peugeot e-208 » £27,225 (CDN$46,500 / USD$36,050)
- Renault Zoe » £27,595 (CDN$47,100 / USD$36,550)
- Vauxhall Corsa-e » £27,805 (CDN$47,500 / USD$36,800)
The Fiat Scudo name has been revived for a new medium-sized van, available to order from December 2021 and priced from £35,720 (CDN$61,000 / USD$47,300) before VAT in fully electric ‘e-Scudo’ form. If it looks familiar, that’s because it’s a near-identical sister model to the Citroen e-Dispatch, Peugeot e-Expert, Toyota Proace Electric and Vauxhall Vivaro-e – joint winners of DrivingElectric’s 2022 Best Medium Electric Van award.
As it shares drivetrain technology with those models, the e-Scudo gets a 134bhp electric motor and a choice of 50 or 75kWh batteries, for driving ranges of 143 and 205 miles respectively, along with 100kW rapid-charging capability for swift battery top-ups on the go.
Two main versions of the e-Scudo are being offered at launch: the short-wheelbase 50kWh battery model comes in the Tecnico trim and has an on-the-road-price of £35,720 before VAT, while the long-wheelbase 75kWh battery model comes in Business specification and is priced at £43,050 on the road, excluding VAT.
Admittedly, a small platform means less space for batteries and so the range of the following cars will never match the potential of larger alternatives. But a small battery also means a lower asking price, and if we’re talking about urban runabouts that do only the occasional longer journey, it’s arguable just how many owners would need more than, say, 180 miles of driving range.
- Peugeot e-208
- Fiat 500 Electric
- Vauxhall Corsa-e
- Renault Zoe
- Mini Electric
- BMW i3S
- Honda E
- Mazda MX-30
- Volkswagen e-Up
- DS 3 Crossback E-Tense
Only two of these small EVs are available to the North America market, the Mini Electric and the Mazda MX-30.