- Smart EQ fortwo » £17,850 (CDN$30,500 / USD$23,600)
- Smart EQ forfour » £18,285 (CDN$31,200 / USD$24,200)
- Fiat 500 » £20,495 (CDN$35,000 / USD$27,150)
- VW e-up! » £20,695 (CDN$35,300 / USD$27,400)
- Mini Electric » £26,000 (CDN$44,400 / USD$34,400)
- Mazda MX-30 » £26,045 (CDN$24,500 / USD$34,500)
- MG5 EV » £26,495 (CDN$45,200 / USD$35,100)
- Peugeot e-208 » £27,225 (CDN$46,500 / USD$36,050)
- Renault Zoe » £27,595 (CDN$47,100 / USD$36,550)
- Vauxhall Corsa-e » £27,805 (CDN$47,500 / USD$36,800)
British publication DrivingElectric has announced their award winners for this year »
Car of the Year 2022 » MG ZS EV
Best Urban Electric Car » Fiat 500
Best Value Electric Car » MG ZS EV
Best Family Electric Car » Skoda Enyaq iV
Best Luxury Electric Car » BMW iX
Best Long-Distance Electric Car » Hyundai Ioniq 5
Best Electric Company Car » Tesla Model 3
Best Electric Performance Car » Porsche Taycan
Best Used Electric Car » Nissan Leaf Mk2
Best Large Electric Van » Fiat e-Ducato
Technology Award » Hyundai Ioniq 5
Innovation Award » Citroen Ami
Readers’ Favourite Electric Car » Kia EV6
These are the best EVs that effortlessly will fit into everyday life and carry the family and its paraphernalia.
This is a list of our top 10 electric cars for families at the more affordable end of the market, compiled considering factors such as range, usability, driving dynamics and value for money. Some EVs are still subject to relatively high prices compared with combustion-engined cars, but their premiums can be offset against lower running costs.
Three specification levels will be available, with prices for the entry-level SE Long Range model starting from £30,995, or £28,495 after the government’s £2500 plug-in car grant is applied.
The Kia e-Niro rival will gain a 72kWh battery with a range of up to 273 miles (~440 km), a big improvement on the 163 miles offered by the outgoing model.
Entry-level SE cars are equipped with a 10.1in touchscreen, sat-nav and USB charging ports, along with automatic air conditioning, LED headlights, keyless entry and adaptive cruise control. All cars receive assist systems including active emergency braking, lane assist, and pedestrian and cyclist detection.